We have compiled our favorite best burgers recipe list for you to help plan your next BBQ bash. In addition to the best burgers recipe choices we have included several hot dog toppings from around the U.S. as well as some grilled side dishes.
Best Burgers Recipe Choices
When making burgers you can either shape with your hands or use a hamburger mold. Once burgers are shaped press a small indentation in the center with your thumb. This prevents the burger from being too fat in the middle and helps even cooking. Place burgers on a wax paper lined tray after making them and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. This helps them maintain their shape while grilling.
For a charcoal grill place hamburger patties on grill rack directly over medium coals and cook for about 15 minutes flipping half way through cooking time. For a gas grill cook over medium heat covered for the same time as a charcoal grill. Beef burgers should read 160 F on a meat thermometer. Chicken burgers should reach 175 F.
Serve all burgers on a toasted sesame seed bun or other bun of your choice. Each recipe makes approximately 4 burgers.
- 3 Poblano Chilies
- 2 Tbsp egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- sliced jalepenos
- Begin by preheating oven to 425F. Cut Poblanos in half and scoop out seeds, membranes, and stem. Then place cut side down on foil lined baking pan and roast for 20-25 minutes. Once charred, wrap peppers in foil and let stand for 20 minutes.
- After that use a paring knife and slowly pull skins off peppers as seen in the photo. Then chop the peppers.
- Once peppers are prepared mix egg whites, almond flour, carrot, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Then add ground beef and mix well.
- Cook as directed above, but place a slice of pepper jack cheese when burgers are almost done.
- Once cooked, serve on a bun with jalepenos and tomato slices if preferred.
Black and Blue Burger
For the Black and Blue Burger add 2 tsp. jerk seasoning to 1 pound of ground beef. Separate beef into 8 portions. Then flatten 1 portion with your hand and place 1 tbsp blue cheese crumbles in the center. After that top with another flattened portion of beef. Most importantly, make sure you seal the ends so the blue cheese doesn’t drip out while cooking. Serve on a toasted bun with a slice of onion and lettuce.
Classic Bacon Cheeseburger
For a Classic Bacon Cheese Burger mix a pound of ground beef with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper each and form into a burger shape. Towards the end of cooking top with a slice of bacon and American cheese. We cook our bacon in the oven at 300F for about 30-40 minutes in a broiler pan so the grease drips away. Of course this can be done ahead of time. Also, placing the cheese on top of the bacon keeps the bacon from slipping off when you remove the burger from the grill.
- 2 lbs. ground chicken ( we grind ours in our food processor from chicken breasts)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tsp. minced garlic
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
- 3 tsp. sesame oil
- sliced pineapple
- sliced deli ham
- Mix first 6 ingredients well with hands and form into patties. This will make 5-6 patties unless you make slider size burgers. Then place each burger on an aluminum foiled lined baking sheet and freeze for at least 15-30 minutes so they are firm for cooking.
- Meanwhile heat grill to medium high heat. While grill is heating mix sesame oil with hoisin sauce.
- Then cook burgers over direct heat for at least 5 minutes on each side while basting with hoisin mixture until internal temperature reaches 165F.
- While burgers are grilling, grill pineapple slices until browned.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with a slice of ham and pineapple.
Black Bean Burger
We usually top this burger with Pico de Gallo, but you can use any type of salsa you like. In the photo above we had some leftover mango avocado salsa and 2 ears of leftover corn on the cob so I mixed them together. I figured they made a good topping or a tasty side salad. I am all about not wasting food, therefore some of my best creations come from whatever is lying around my fridge.
These bean burgers can stick to the grill a bit so make sure your grill is well oiled. Also make sure you cook them for at least 10 minutes before flipping so they have time to firm up.
- 1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts ( lightly brown them in about a tablespoon of butter or spray pan with cooking spray)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 chopped jalepeno
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Begin by mixing walnuts, onion, cilantro, garlic, jalepeno, and Italian seasoning in a food processor. Then pulse until well mixed. After that add the beans and process.
- Once the mixture is processed, transfer to a large bowl and add eggs, pepper, and almond flour. When that is well mixed, shape into patties and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- After that, place in the refrigerator until ready to grill or the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- To grill place directly over medium coals and cook for about 20-25 minutes flipping half way through cooking time. Serve on toasted buns topped with Pico de Gallo (recipe below) or any other toppings.
Hot Dogs in Addition to the Best Burgers Recipe
There’s nothing that beats a grilled hot dog. We prefer Nathans, but you can use whatever brand you choose. However cooking times will vary depending on the thickness and type of hot dog you choose. So make sure to look at package instructions for safe cooking instructions.
Topping Variations( Can also be used with Best Burgers Recipe List)
- Chicago Style– Top this one with chopped onion, sliced cucumber, thinly sliced tomato, mustard and pickle relish
- Southern Style– Top this with good old fashioned coleslaw
- Tex-Mex– Place a slice of halved pepper jack cheese and then top with Pico de Gallo
- New York Dog– Squirt some Dijon mustard on the dog and then top with warm sauerkraut and onion sauce
- Coney Island Chili Dog– Of course this gets the famous Coney Island Chili on top
Pico de Gallo– Mix together a cup of chopped cherry tomatoes, half of a diced jalepeno, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 1/2 tsp. salt, clove crushed garlic, juice from 1/2 a lime. Most importantly drain them so your hot dog bun doesn’t get soggy.
Onion Sauce– Begin by cooking 2 sliced onions in oil until golden. Add 1 tsp. chili powder and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and continue cooking for another minute. Then stir in 1/3 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup water, 1 tsp. Frank’s hot sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Coney Island Chili-Combine 12 oz. ground beef, 1 cup chopped onion, and 3 crushed garlic cloves in a pan. Then cook until meat is browned. After that stir in a 14oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes and a 4 oz. can of diced green chilis, can rinsed and drained kidney beans, tbsp. chili powder, 1 tbsp. brown mustard, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. hot paprika, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper. Boil, and then reduce heat, simmering for 20 minutes. Of course you can buy canned chili or make your favorite recipe instead.
Sides to go with the Best Burgers Recipe List
Down Home Coleslaw
My dad always made 3 side salads: macaroni salad, potato salad, and coleslaw. The first 2 I only make once in a while due to carb count. However, coleslaw is a great way to eat extra veggies. My dad always shredded the cabbage himself, but I find it quicker to buy coleslaw mix. To make the coleslaw, mix all ingredients together in a bowl except slaw mix. Once the dressing is thoroughly combined toss in the slaw mix.
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 pickled beets, chopped with 2 tbsp of beet liquid
- 1 bag slaw mix
Creamy Cucumber Salad
One of my favorites from childhood, my dad often made this to accompany his grilled BBQ meals. Simply mix all the ingredients and chill for several hours before serving. I always make this in the morning so I have more time later. Also, I like to peel the cucumbers, but you don’t have to.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
- pepper to taste
- 3 large cucumbers cut in half, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 sliced small onion
Although I have tried several recipes for Buffalo Cauliflower, I have simplified the process while retaining the taste. Begin by cutting half a cauliflower into bite size pieces about an inch big. Then toss in a few tablespoons of Frank’s wing sauce and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. After that roast at 425 F in the oven for about 20 minutes flipping once until lightly browned. Of course you can do this on the grill as well if you have a vegetable pan.
I hope you enjoy these delicious recipes. For more grilling advice check out Steven Raichlen on his website or watch his grilling shows on PBS. If you need drink recipes to serve at your next bash read Tropical Drinks.