Saint Valentine Day conjures up images of romantic dinners for two by candlelight with Barry White playing in the background to set the mood. Whatever images come to your mind here are some Valentine Day recipes. In addition to Valentine Day recipes for dinner, I have also included romantic breakfast ideas.
And what is more romantic than French cooking? Our first recipe is a seafood stew that I have modified to make it a bit easier to make.
Bouillabaisse, Valentine Day Dinner Recipe
- 2 pounds of a variety of fish fillets such as rockfish and halibut
- olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 5 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 14 ounce cans of fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- zest of one orange
- 1 teaspoon Herbs du Provence
- 1 pound of peeled shrimp
- salt and pepper to taste
- baguette to serve
- Begin by cutting the fish into bite-size pieces.
- Then heat olive oil in a large pot and saute the onion. When the onion is soft add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- After that, add the broth, orange zest, and Herbs du Provence and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Once the stew base is ready add the fish and shrimp and continue cooking with lid on for 5-10 minutes until fish and shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve with crusty bread
Looking for additional romantic ideas? Check out these sponsored links for romantic gift sets:
Coq Au Vin with Green Beans, Another Valentine Day Dinner Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken breasts
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 onion diced
- 4 ounces of mushrooms halved
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons cherry or apple brandy
- 8 ounces red wine
- 10 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Herbs du Provence
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Begin by cutting the chicken breast into smaller pieces horizontally. (I do this instead of pounding the chicken because I don’t like chicken splashed around my kitchen.)
- Once chicken is prepared, melt half the butter with olive oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. When the skillet is hot add the chicken. Continue to cook for about 6-8 minutes flipping occasionally until chicken is browned.
- When the chicken is brown on both sides add the bacon, onions, and mushrooms.
- After that pour in the brandy.
- Once the brandy stops sizzling loudly, add the wine, stock, garlic, and Herbs du Provence.
- After the liquid comes to a boil, reduce heat and cover simmering for about 45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining butter and flour to form a paste.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt some additional butter in a separate fryin
- g pan. Add the green beans and stir fry over medium high heat for about 10 minutes. I like to add a little garlic powder, salt, and tarragon, but you can add whatever seasonings you like.
- When the chicken is done, add in the butter/flour mixture to thicken the broth.
Make sure to check out Valentine Day recipes for cocktails to compliment your meal or dessert.
Want some Valentine Day Recipes for Breakfast?
French Toast Ingredients
- 6-8 pieces of whole wheat bread (we are trying to keep this healthy).
- 8 ounces of milk
- 2 ounces of egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Whipped Cream or Cool Whip
- Fresh strawberries sliced
- First whisk together milk, egg whites, cinnamon, vanilla, and honey. You might need to do this in a large bowl to prevent splashing. Then transfer it to a shallow bowl or pie plate for dipping.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt some butter. Once the butter melts spread it over the bottom of the pan. Then dip bread, one slice at a time in milk mixture and place in pan. Depending on the size of your pan and bread slices, you should be able to fit 2-4 slices in at a time.
- Cook for a few minutes until bread easily can be flipped with a spatula without sticking to the bottom of the pan. Likewise, cook the second side until lightly browned.
- Once finished cooking, remove to a plate. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- When toast is done cooking spread a thin layer of Nutella over each slice. Top with whipped cream and strawberry slices.
As an alternative, make regular toast and use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out a heart. Then spread either Nutella, cream cheese, or peanut butter and top with bananas. On the other hand, you can also just put butter and jam on the heart shaped toast.
Looking for some romantic gifts? Check out these sponsored links:
Dessert Anyone? Whip up this to Die for Valentine Day Recipe for Chocolate Mousse
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- tablespoon cherry brandy
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups cool whip
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherry
- Begin by melting the chocolate with butter in a microwaveable bowl until smooth.
- Once the chocolate is cooled slightly, beat in the egg yolks. Then add the brandy.
- After that mix in the cool whip. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and cherry or fresh fruit.
This is a very rich dessert so I recommend serving small portions. Or you can make it really romantic and share a bowl.
If you want more than dinner and drinks for a romantic experience learn about Romantic Getaways in Florida or Romantic Getaways in the U.S. The first post is a compilation of 8 romantic getaways in Florida that my husband and I went on. The U.S. destinations is a post by Jordan Lindsay that I collaborated on. I hope you enjoy your couples getaway. Let me know which is your favorite destination.
Warning: Use of undefined constant php – assumed ‘php’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/exploretheroadwithdonnamarie.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/magical-posts-display/includes/blocks/posts-tab.php on line 421
After writing how to make homemade pasta I decided to follow it up with a post about making homemade sauce for pasta. Here are some…Read More
There are great pubs and bars in cities around the world, but we all know Munich for Octoberfest. We missed the Octoberfest festivities last year…Read More
Appetizers are always the best party foods as they aren’t that filling and you don’t have to coordinate a giant sit down meal. They also…Read More
Country roads lead to Bunker Hill Vineyard & Winery in central Florida. At the end of the road you will see rows of muscadine grapes…Read More
In this follow up to Best Pubs and Bars of the World we continue to explore additional hidden speakeasys, converted pubs, and happening bars. The…Read More
All photos on this page are compliments of Ray Letoa’s rum class sign up for my newsletter here Several years ago my husband and I…Read More
When looking for a beach getaway, look for rentals Panama City Beach. sign up for newsletter The Florida Panhandle has approximately 200 miles of white…Read More
As we drove up Florida Turnpike towards small town Florida and away from our crazy South Florida lives, I began to relax. My tiki bar…Read More