We miss the Octoberfest festivities this year so we decided to have our own Octoberfest at home. We created this recipe based on German foods we have cooked in the past, added some music, and of course beer.
Octoberfest Recipe: German Pork, Brats, and Kraut
- 4 pack of Bratwurst or other German sausage
- 4 pork loin chops sliced 1/2 inch thick or small boneless pork loin sliced
- 2 pieces of bacon cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 apples
- 1 16 oz. can sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 bottle of German beer
- spaetzle or small pasta
- Begin by cooking bacon over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the onions until bacon is fully cooked and onions are clear.
- Meanwhile place the pork chops and sausages in a large baking pan.
- Then cut apples into fourths removing the core and tuck them around the meats.
- After that, sprinkle with black pepper, cloves, and brown sugar, and add drained sauerkraut to baking pan. Then top with bacon/onion mixture.
- Additionally, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and pour beer over the food in the pan.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until meat temperature is 145 degrees at the thickest parts.
- Cook the pasta or spaetzle during the last 15 minutes of the meat cooking time. Then drain and toss with butter.
- When meat is done remove contents to a serving platter using a slotted spoon and serve with buttered spaetzle.
Then don’t forget your tradition German dessert Apfel Kuchen (apple cake)
Octoberfest Dessert: Apfel Kuchen
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- half tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients together.
- Subsequently, beat the eggs and add eggs, oil, and vanilla to mixture.
- Then add apples and walnuts.
- After that, mix well and spread into a 9×13″ pan.
- Finally, bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
If you are looking for a great place in the U.S. to celebrate Octoberfest, then you should check out the town of Helen, GA. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 they will not be hosting Octoberfest this year.
So what is Picadillo anyway? Long ago native Mexicans used wild boar, turkey, dove, quail, and pheasant in their cooking, but it was the Spanish that introduced cattle, sheep, goats, and pigs. How we think of traditional Mexican cooking is…Read More
Of course, tacos can be fun and easy to make for a quick weeknight meal. Why do you think Mexican street food is so popular? In addition, tacos can be a healthy dinner. They are versatile and can be made…Read More
If you can’t travel to France, then bring France to your home by cooking romantic French cuisine. Try these French food recipes starting with an appetizer of tapenade, an olive spread. Then cook up some Pan Fried Fish with white…Read More
To find the best ceviche recipe we tried several variations. We will be preparing it using recipes from two different countries and comparing them while learning about the cultures at the same time. What is Ceviche? Ceviche is a traditional…Read More