We miss the Octoberfest festivities this year so we decided to have our own Octoberfest at home. We created this recipe based on German foods we have cooked in the past, added some music, and of course beer.
Octoberfest Recipe: German Pork, Brats, and Kraut
- 4 pack of Bratwurst or other German sausage
- 4 pork loin chops sliced 1/2 inch thick or small boneless pork loin sliced
- 2 pieces of bacon cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 apples
- 1 16 oz. can sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 bottle of German beer
- spaetzle or small pasta
- Begin by cooking bacon over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the onions until bacon is fully cooked and onions are clear.
- Meanwhile place the pork chops and sausages in a large baking pan.
- Then cut apples into fourths removing the core and tuck them around the meats.
- After that, sprinkle with black pepper, cloves, and brown sugar, and add drained sauerkraut to baking pan. Then top with bacon/onion mixture.
- Additionally, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and pour beer over the food in the pan.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until meat temperature is 145 degrees at the thickest parts.
- Cook the pasta or spaetzle during the last 15 minutes of the meat cooking time. Then drain and toss with butter.
- When meat is done remove contents to a serving platter using a slotted spoon and serve with buttered spaetzle.
Then don’t forget your tradition German dessert Apfel Kuchen (apple cake)
Octoberfest Dessert: Apfel Kuchen
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- half tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients together.
- Subsequently, beat the eggs and add eggs, oil, and vanilla to mixture.
- Then add apples and walnuts.
- After that, mix well and spread into a 9×13″ pan.
- Finally, bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
If you are looking for a great place in the U.S. to celebrate Octoberfest, then you should check out the town of Helen, GA. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 they will not be hosting Octoberfest this year.
If you can’t travel to France, then bring France to your home by cooking romantic French cuisine. Try these French food recipes starting with an appetizer of tapenade, an olive spread. Then cook up some Pan Fried Fish with white Show by buttonRead More
Since travel is limited I am writing several posts this month on Irish food, drinks, and tales in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. I have updated these traditional Irish recipes to make them healthier, easier to cook, and using more Show by buttonRead More
Appetizers are always the best party foods as they aren’t that filling and you don’t have to coordinate a giant sit down meal. They also lend themselves to people stopping by and leaving at different times. Finger foods always make Show by buttonRead More
These Asian appetizers make easy healthy dinners or great light snacks for entertaining. I created these recipes after being inspired by recipes I found in the September 2017 issue of Cooking Light. Subsequently, I adjusted them to our tastes. The Show by buttonRead More
We have compiled our favorite best burgers recipe list for you to help plan your next BBQ bash. In addition to the best burgers recipe choices we have included several hot dog toppings from around the U.S. as well as Show by buttonRead More
Saint Valentine Day conjures up images of romantic dinners for two by candlelight with Barry White playing in the background to set the mood. Whatever images come to your mind here are some Valentine Day recipes. In addition to Valentine Show by buttonRead More
These world appetizer ideas evolved from the platters we created while watching Rick Steves Monday Night Travel. After several weeks of creating European appetizers we wanted to branch out and find world appetizer ideas from other parts of the globe. Show by buttonRead More
Whether you are actually visiting Mexico City or looking for a quick weeknight dinner, Mexican street food is a tasty choice. In addition to being quick, tacos can be a healthy dinner. They are versatile and can be made out Show by buttonRead More