The Florida Panhandle has approximately 200 miles of white powdery sand beaches. Panama City Beach is located 112 miles west of Tallahassee, FL and about 130 miles east of Pensacola, FL. During the spring each year, Panama City Beach is a haven for spring breakers from around the world, but come summer, it morphs into a family vacation spot. This might seem more like a party destination rather than the setting for romance, but the beach ambiance is a perfect venue for an intimate getaway.
For rentals Panama City Beach we recommend the Nautical Watch Condominiums. My husband and I stayed here for a weekend last summer. We began the trip by driving to the Panhandle in our 2016 Jeep. There is nothing more enjoyable to the start of couples’ beach getaway than hitting the road in a jeep with the top down and the wind whipping through your hair. We arrived at the condo mid-afternoon.
Whether a couples’ getaway or a family vacation here are some sponsored links for useful products we recommend:
Rental Panama City Beach: condo with a view
We stayed in a second floor condo hosted by Michelle and Dawn overlooking the beach that we found through Airbnb. The bedroom had a king size bed, and there was a small kitchen so we were able to prepare our own food. The first thing we did was pack a picnic dinner and head down to the beach for a swim. I don’t know about you, but the smell of suntan oil is an aphrodisiac. Rubbing sunscreen on each other is always a sensual experience. The beach is a great place to get away from it all and just enjoy the sounds of the waves pounding against the shore. After our picnic dinner we watched an amazing sunset.
Romantic Day at the beach
The next morning we sipped coffee on our balcony. Then we hit the beach. Beach chairs were provided for us by our hosts, but we usually travel with our own. We picked up some Tommy Bahama chairs a few years back. My husband likes the backpack straps for easy carrying, and I like that one of them has the ability to lie flat. Both have cup holders and pockets for phone or keys.
We also use a Tommy Bahama beach umbrella with a sand anchor. While we have watched many umbrellas go flying away in the wind over the years, we have never had a problem with ours. This is one time it is definitely worth spending the extra money. Another handy beach item we use is a small folding table. It is great for putting food and drinks on. We not only use it at the beach but when gathering in the yard with friends.
While not the exact beach gear we use, (our stuff is old) I have included newer versions through these affiliate links:
If you don’t have chairs or umbrella they are a available for rent on the beach. Plenty of space in the water for floating chairs or lounges if you want to spend a lazy day floating in the Gulf. There are also miles of smooth white sand if you want an early morning run. We chose walking hand in hand on a long stroll. We went on a second walk in the late afternoon and witnessed a fairy tale beach wedding.
After a long day of surf and sand we headed upstairs for a private dinner on our balcony. The balcony was the perfect setting for a light dinner of gourmet cheeses, crackers, grapes, and wine.
The next morning we headed to the beach for a swim before heading out to our next destination.
For more romantic rentals Panama City Beach I have compiled this list:
- Gulf Front Paradise: This is a small Airbnb studio right on the beach with a Jacuzzi tub in the bath. Beautiful pool and miles of private beach close to local pubs and restaurants.
- The Nest at Old Bay– Within walking distance of the beach this Airbnb 1956 bungalow is perfect for a couple. It has a small kitchen and outdoor grill. It also has an outdoor shower to rinse off after your day at the beach. The host also has a golf cart to rent for easy getting around.
- Beachfront condo- This 2 bedroom Airbnb condo is right on the beach with a pool. Great for a couple but can fit up to 5 guests.
- Penthouse– This VRBO penthouse is right on the beach and has 2 bedrooms with 1 1/2 baths. Beautiful interior with a full kitchen for cooking some romantic meals together.
For family rentals Panama City Beach I have found these options:
- Splash Park on the Beach– This Airbnb condo can accommodate up to 7 guests with its 2 bedrooms. The great thing here is not only that it is right on the beach, but kids under 14 will enjoy the Splash Park right downstairs.
- Luxury Beachfront Resort-This 2 bedroom Airbnb condo sleeps up to 6 guests. It has a gourmet kitchen and is newly remodeled. The resort has 3 pools, Jacuzzis, and a toddler pool in addition to children’s activities.
- Corner condo– This 2nd floor VRBO condo unit overlooks the beach and pool and sleeps up to 10 people. Big kitchen saves money on meals.
Precautions during Covid-19
We didn’t have the opportunity to eat at any of the local restaurants while here due to Covid-19. The restaurants were open, but we didn’t feel comfortable being around that many people. However, Sisters of the Sea was recommended by the host. There is an outdoor bar with a pool. The pool has “live mermaids” swimming in it. Also, Schooners was within walking distance of the condo. We plan to try these out on our next visit. For more recommendations for what to do, where to eat, and where to stay, download the trip advisor app.
Also, check out these sponsored links for some ideas on what to bring on your romantic weekend…